Pro-Form Laboratories has been a leader in the development and production of nutritional powders for over 35 years. As the “Pros in Powders”, we blend experience, quality, innovation and technology to ensure our customers’ success in today's ever changing marketplace. We are looking for a Microbiologist to join our team.
This will be an exempt, salary position. Flexibility will be required and some weekend shifts.
The Microbiologist will track incoming samples and conduct and coordinate microbiological testing, creation of internal Certificates of Analysis, perform equipment calibration and maintain sufficient inventory of consumable supplies. The Microbiologist will work with qualified third party microbiological laboratories and coordinate sample pick up and follow up on results. The microbiologist will review records to ensure accuracy and interpret microbiological and tests related to production, environmental monitoring and sanitization. The Microbiologist may write Laboratory SOP and participate in Laboratory initiatives. The Microbiologist will oversee the maintenance and routine cleaning of the microbiological laboratory equipment. The Microbiologist prepares process and status reports, assigns and monitors document control numbers and reviews documents for accuracy and completeness. Supervise and guide the Microbial Technician in day-to-day operation.
The essential functions of this position include, but are not necessarily limited to, those specifically identified in this description. The Company may, at its sole discretion, add to, change, or expand the essential or marginal functions of this position.
- Supervise and perform various microbiological testing (Quantitative and Qualitative Analysis for Foods and Dietary Supplements), maintain documentation/records accurately, generate final report (C of A), retest/report out of specification. Testing to perform include, but not limited to: Aerobic Plate Count, Total Coliform/E. Coli, Yeast & Mold, Staphylococcus aureus, Salmonella, and Listeria.
- Develop and maintain validation protocols utilized in the microbiological laboratory.
- Stay current with advances in testing methods related to the food and dietary supplement manufacturing industries, evaluate and recommend improvements to existing test procedures.
- Continually improve/refresh information on microorganisms in foods and dietary supplements to become the Company’s microbiological subject matter expert.
- Monitor all physiological and morphological characteristics and identify microorganisms (as needed).
- Confirmation analysis of presumptive and suspect isolates, requiring critical and flexible thinking approaches.
- Investigate all issues and prevent any GMP problems on samples.
- Organize microbiology laboratory, maintain inventory and order lab supply of materials and media required for microbiological testing, perform calibrations, cleaning and maintenance of lab equipment.
- Must be able to work weekends if needed.
- Comply with all general company policies and procedures.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Demonstrate a good basic knowledge of microorganisms in the food and dietary supplement industries, concepts, principles and the associated test methods for qualification/quantification.
- Strong technical aptitude and the ability to analyze, interpret, and communicate test results.
- Fundamental understanding of applied statistical analysis, including design of experiments and multivariate analysis techniques.
- Ability to work with statistical test designs and interpret statistical analysis of data.
- Excellent management and organizational skills and ability to meet rigid deadlines and ability to work in fast paced environment.
- Ability to complete complex assignments requiring ingenuity, originality and resourcefulness.
- Exceptional interpersonal, collaboration, and influence skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to manage resources and leverage existing data to effectively lead multiple projects.
- Exceptional data management and information processing abilities.
- Capability to understand directives and execute work as per set plans.
- Detail oriented and quality conscious individual.
- Ability to perform quality work under time constraints and adapt to changing priorities.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in general computer skills: Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat and the common data management software
- BS in Microbiology/Food Microbiology with 1-2 years of experience in a microbiology laboratory in a cGMP and GLP setting.
- Working knowledge of microorganisms commonly found in the food industry.
- Proven ability to interpret and communicate product insight findings with business and project teams.
- Experience with aseptic technique, food microbiology, or other culture-based microbiology lab experience a plus.
The Microbiologist reports directly to the Laboratory Manager.
This pay rate will be determined by the experience of the selected applicant.
Please make sure to answer the question regarding salary requirements.
Pro-Form Laboratories offers a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k, FSA, paid vacation and sick leave. For consideration, please reply to this post with your resume and cover letter that includes relevant skills and experience.
It is the policy and intent of Pro-Form Laboratories to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, or medical condition as defined in federal and state laws. This policy covers all facets of employment, including but not limited to: recruitment, selection, placement, promotions, transfers, demotions, termination, training, and compensation.